Sunday 01 July drinking

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
ross67

Sunday 01 July drinking

Post by ross67 »

A fair list of wines with brief notes over 4 days with friends in the mountains.

08 Wild Witch Shiraz Trevor Jones.
First timer on this label. Medium-full bodied w controlled typical French oak restraint. Nice wine

'91 Wynn's Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon
This was v good again. Keeps living w seamless energy. Aged w classic quality.

09 Koltz "The Pagan"
Always magnicent if you are into this style. Not really a food style wine but w some sharp cheese it's stunning.

00 Henry's Drive Reserve Shiraz.
An old favorite /last btl. V aged nose and thought initially it might be gone but still lovely w good length. Drink now.

09 SC Pannell Grenache
This was a bit of a surprise. The very dry tannins were a bit off putting to be honest. Unlike other MV Grenache I've tasted. Not really jointed in my opinion....perhaps in time?

07 Mt Pleasant OP & OH Shiraz
Not a great fan of Hunter. Med bodied and length. Ok just

04 Coriole Lloyd Reserve Shiraz
Very disappointing fruit seemed over cooked and had a stale element. Tried this a few yrs back and was closed and needing time but not like this.

09 The Colonial Estate 'Exile' Shiraz
Heaps of fruit and lush but a little clumsy. Mid teen purchase so cannot complain.

10 Two Hands Brave Faces GSM
Excellent bottom tier Two Hands blend. Rich w quality fruit . Well made

10 Wirra Wirra 'Woodhenge' Shiraz
Great vintage. Still young but drinking well and will improve. Quality MV Shiraz

94 Cape Mentelle Shiraz
This was our wine of the trip. Still engaging and going strong. Tannins and fruit just right.

06 Beach Road Petit Verdot
This stuff is beautiful and is a real favorite. If you see it around buy some.

? 'Illuminati' Montepulciano D' Abruzzo
This was a very good Italian red. Tannins integrated

Ross

LawrenceM

Re: Sunday 01 July drinking

Post by LawrenceM »

Meera Park Terracotta Shiraz 2002: Great shiraz, meaty plums and blackberries, liquorice, a touch of leather and nicely balanced oak and tannins.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Wyndham Estate "George Wyndham" Cabernet Merlot 2002
This was a pretty clean wine. Seems to be drinking just fine right now. Not sure of any of the technical details.

Chapel Hill "Il Vescovo" Sangiovese 2005
Screwcap.14.2% alc. A real touch of herbal/brett to this wine, but not so much as to be terribly offputting. Probably medium bodied, I'd say. We had this after dinner, but I'd suggest if you have any it would partner very well with osso bucco, or anything stewed with herbs.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

2006 Noon 12 Bells. McLaren Vale: This was my last bottle and also the first Noon wine I've had that's corked. And badly too. NR

2008 Tscharke The Potter Garnacha (Grenache). Barossa Valley: Has not improved much from my last bottle a year ago. Funky nose and needed air to improve it a little. I'll drink my last bottle soon. Not great VFM. 2.5/5

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Trip to the Hawkes Bay on Sunday. I think over the last 15 years I have tried enough world class and benchmark wines to make this judgement; the 2010 Craggy Range Le Sol Syrah is a world class wine. Sensational. Dense, aromatic, brooding, layered wine with silky smooth tannins. Just yum and worth it's $100 price tag. Will be looking out for some good deal on this stuff. Bottle of Grange or a six pack of this?? It's not even a contest!! My wine of the year to date

burgster

Post by burgster »

Craig

What do you think of that Keltern Chard that keeps winning all of the trophies?

I must say, I continue to be underwhemed by it.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

burgster wrote:Craig

What do you think of that Keltern Chard that keeps winning all of the trophies?

I must say, I continue to be underwhemed by it.

Its an ok wine for villa maria. Not oaked as aggressively as some of their reserve grade wines. But I agree with you. It doesn't have a pile of x factor to me. There are better chardonnays out there. Piles of top labels that never enter shows. I bought one out of curiousity, drank it. Thought "meh" and moved on

Far rather a Kumeu River Mates etc