Tahbilk's vintage charts

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Marino

Tahbilk's vintage charts

Post by Marino »

Was reading the latest Tahbilk wine club newslettter which has their vintage chart on the back. I notice that for many of the reds, cellaring of either 15-20 years or 20 years is recommended.

Using the standard Cab Sav as an example, one needs to go back to the 1989 before finding one which is listed as 'Ready to drink' (the next one ready to drink is the 1984). And the 1981 is listed as still improving!

This seems quite long when compared to cellaring recommendations of other winemakers. What do people think about such a long cellaring time for Tahbilk reds - is it legitimate? What's the thinking behind it?

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

It's legit. Tahbilk wines are certainly built for the long haul, although perhaps not quite so much now as before. According to Oliver, just five vintages of their Cab (98,89,88,87,81) are ready to drink now...for the 82 or 83 wait another 10 years. I don't think there are too many Australian reds which need quite so much time.

TORB

Post by TORB »

I am very skeptical about the Tahbilk vintage charts.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I probably ought to clarify a little. I certainly can't confirm that everything on the vintage charts is right, but it's certainly the case that many Tahbilk reds (Cab, especially) have twenty years or longer in them.

Kieran

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I reckon Tahbilk up till then early to mid 90's could handle 15 years plus but I think in the last 5 years they have made them more approachable with softer tannins which has meant that I think they do not cellar as well as they used to.

I have them from about '75 through to '86 in both Cab and Shiraz that they are still holding up well.

cheers
anthony